Student nurse on steps of Baker House

Request a copy of this image

Item Description

Description
  • School of nursing student exiting Baker House. Baker House, located on Trent Drive, was constructed in 1931 and renovated in 1968. The building is contiguous with Duke Clinic. It housed the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology administration, clinics, diagnostic, treatment and support services including: Speech and Hearing, Oral Surgery, Pastoral Care and Counseling, departmental offices and NeuroOncology program. The building is named for Bessie Baker, the first Dean of Nursing at Duke Hospital. It was originally constructed to relocate and house graduate and student nurses living in Southgate Dormitory on the campus of the Woman's College and commuting to Duke Hospital. An additional residence, the Nurses' Dormitory, was constructed on Erwin Road to alleviate crowding of the Baker House caused by the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps during World War II.
Date created
Subject
Identifier
  • per00588
Resource type
Holding entity
Archival collection
  • Photograph & Negative Collection
In Collection:

QR Code