Text of a speech given at the presentation of the buildings for the Duke Medical School and Hospital given by George Garland Allen, President of the Trustees of the Duke Endowment. Allen delievered the speech during the dedication exercises for the...
Reprint of speeches given during the dedicatory exercises of the Duke University School of Medicine and Hospital orignally printed in the Southern Medical Journal (Vol XXIV, No. 12). Speeches include: " Presentation of Buildings," by George Garland...
Program for the Dedication of the Duke University School of Medicine and the Duke Hospital. Speakers for the day's events were: George Garland Allen, Colonel John Fletcher Bruton, Wilburt C. Davison, David Linn Edsall, William Preston Few, Thurman...
Speech in acceptance of the Duke Endowment's gift of buildings for Duke's new medical school and hospital. The speech was delivered by Colonel John Fletcher Bruton on behalf of the Board of Trustees. Bruton delivered this speech during dedication...
The first class of the School of Nursing in uniform. The class entered on January 1931 and graduated in June 1933. They were the only class to wear black stockings.
Duke Hospital with old cars parked out front. Hospital construction began on September 1, 1927 and was completed on July 1, 1930. Duke Hospital opened for patients on July 21, 1930.
(Three groups from left to right) Staff, including Bessie Baker (dean) at the front of the line, and administrators; first class of the School of Nursing students (in black tights); nurses of Duke Hospital. The first class entered on January 1931 and...
Uniformed School of Nursing students on front steps of building. Bessie Baker was the first dean of the School of Nursing (1930-1938). The first class was admitted on January 2, 1931 and graduated on June 7, 1933.
Members of the Department of Anatomy at Duke University School of Medicine. (Left to right, row 1) Henry Hollingshead, instructor; Frank Swett, professor and chair; Rober D. Baker, instructor. (Row 2) Edna Elias, secretary; Talmadge Peele, student...
Baker House, located on Trent Drive, was constructed in 1931 and renovated in 1968. The building is contiguous with Duke Clinic. It housed the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology administration, clinics, diagnostic, treatment and support services...
Duke University faculty and guests from other institutions gather at the Davison building, entrance to the School of Medicine on the occasion of the dedication of the Duke University School of Medicine and Duke Hospital on April 31, 1931. Speakers are...
Picture of an old man using a funnel to pour something into a person's head. Various symbols, including an owl and a globe are shown. Drawn by K. Muhlenck.
A hospital examination room, with desk and bed. Through the open window behind the desk, the stone of the Duke Hospital building's exterior is visible.
A hospital staff member checks a patient’s eyes. The Division of Ophthalmology (located under the Department of Surgery) began with only one clinic per week. It grew to daily sessions, held for a time in the old reading room of the Library. W. Banks...
Duke Hospital pediatrics patients shown outside the Duke Hospital building. One child is holding a stuffed toy. Stones on building in picture are multi-colored.
Members of Nu Sigma Nu students who were part of the School of Medicine's class of 1934 (the first graduating four-year class). At least five fraternities have been founded in the School of Medicine: Alpha Kappa Kappa, Alpha Omega Alpha, Nu Sigma Nu,...
Hospital staff, patient, and equipment in an early operating room of Duke Hospital. Two female members of the Duke Hospital staff are wearing surgical masks.
Bookplate: An elderly man in a long coat examines the tongue of a mask. A table with instruments and books is to his right. Curieux es Arts. Artiste es Cures.
Bookplate: A young man holds a jar aloft. To his lower right and left are heraldic shields of Hohenfeld and Mainbernheim, respectively. On upper left and right are anatomic cross-sections.
A tree serves as a caduceus with a serpent wound around the trunk. The branches are hands, one holding a flower, another a globe. At the top is an eye.