Inside view of the Duke Hospital surgical instrument shop

Click Image for a larger version
Item ID: tch00005
Date: Unknown
Description: Machinery and layout in the surgical instrument shop. The 984 sq. ft. shop was constructed around 1947, following plans by J. Deryl Hart, then chair of the Department of Surgery. In 1949, the shop was opened for the fabrication of surgical and medical instruments. Both the Dept. of Medicine and the Dept. of Surgery paid for this space to develop specialized medical tools and devices. George W. Newton was the first director of the shop.
Format:
Location: Medical Center Archives
Collection: Photograph & Negative Collection