- This oral history interview was conducted with Dr. Howard C. Filston on October 5, 2019 by Dr. Justin Barr as part of the Dr. David Sabiston Oral History Project. In the interview, Filston discusses his early life; education; his decision to become a doctor; the field of pediatric surgery; working with his mentor, Dr. Robert (Bob) Izant; his fellowship with Dr. C. Everett Koop and helping establish the first surgical neonatal intensive care unit in the country; being recruited by Sabiston to come to Duke to as the first trained pediatric surgeon in an academic center in North Carolina; supportive coworkers at Duke; working with Dr. Samuel Katz; being involved in resident education at Duke; how Sabiston ran the Department of Surgery and the culture of the department; his son's death and decision to leave Duke for the University of Tennessee.
- Duke University. Medical Center
- Anlyan, William G.
- Seigler, H. F. (Hilliard F.)
- Duke University. School of Medicine
- Izant, Robert J., 1921-
- Duke University. Medical Center. Department of Surgery
- Filston, Howard C.
- Katz, Samuel L., 1927-
- Sabiston, David C., 1924-2009
- General Surgery.
- Koop, C. Everett (Charles Everett), 1916-2013
- University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville
- Education, Medical.