The first class of graduating students, dressed in traditional caps and gowns, plant ivy to commemorate commencement ceremonies. The entrance to the original School of Medicine (completed in 1930) is now referred to as the Davison Building.
Robert Lee Flowers addresses faculty and house staff during the tenth anniversary celebration of the School of Medicine, held from November 29-30, 1940. Flowers was President of Duke University from 1941 to 1949.
Wilburt Davison (holding shovel) and John McGovern replanting the Osler ivy outside of the Davison Building. The first School of Medicine graduating class originally planted ivy in 1932 to commemorate commencement ceremonies.